November 19, 2008

What happens

when you give a teen girl a cell phone?

She racks up 5,700 text messages in 30 days.........


So John and I have been dead set against giving our kids cell phones. Alyssa has bugged and whined to us for the last two years. "Everyone has one. I am the only one in school who doesn't have a phone."

Etc., Etc.


Blah, Blah.
It seems to me that most kids have them because everyone else does, not because they really need one. That is just our opinion of course.

I am a SAHM and I drive my kids to and from school so we have never found the need for them to have a phone. Until this year. Alyssa started the year out when the weather was nice, walking home with the girl next door. It's a fairly long walk and honestly the route does not go through the best neighborhood, so we decided to get her one for safety. It also comes in handy now that she is in Gymnastics after school.

Hmm, well apparently John was very smart when he signed us up for unlimited text messages because at .10 cents a text times 5,700 text we would have had to rethink the cell phone! To be honest we cant really figure out how in the heck she did that much texting!
But in Alyssa's defense, she is a 4.0 student and a really good girl. There could be worse things she could be doing.




BTW, how did we get old enough to have a teenager anyway? :)








7 comments:

Danielle said...

that is so crazy. i was dying when matt put his little sister on our plan.

... said...

We just went through this in our home with our teen. And, hey, your right, when did we get old enough to have a teen, lol

Angie said...

We've been on the same page as you are about cell phones and kids. BUT guess who is getting one for Christmas? Yup, Kyler. We weren't going to do it, but it seems to have become necessary now. *sigh* Oh and we've already decided to make sure unlimited text is on his plan too!!

OP SuZ Q said...

OH my goodness - it was so good to hear about the number of texts your daughter had!! :) MY son in college had over 4000 and i thought he had an illness!! :) His girlfriend doesn't go to the same college as he does, so they are texting constantly - CRAZY!!! Different world, isn't it!!

Ileana said...

Haha, I'm a teen so I do indeed send out that many texts to. That's why I have the unlimited plan! :D

Oh, and just wanted to make sure you check out this site. We are aiming to INSPIRE THE WORLD IN JUST LESS THAN 25 DAYS!!!
www.thegiftrevolution.com

Sinner Saved by Grace,
Ileana

junglemama said...

I will not let my kids have a cell phone.... I don't have one either. Let her try blogging. It's free!

Erica said...

Hi Erica, I'm Erica too, I had another Erica leave me a message the other day so I felt compelled to do the same when I saw your name on MckMama's comments.
I like your blog! It is very cute! And I'm so not looking forward to cell phones for my kids..I should have a few years left! Well at least you know she has plenty of friends!